Wednesday, February 6, 2013

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 2

Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and describe how they became fears.

1. I'm afraid of heights.  I honestly have no idea how this came to be.  When I was younger I had a slight fear of falling, but not so much that it would really hold me me back from doing things.  It was more just a slight sinking feeling in my stomach when I got too near the edge of something high up I could fall off of.  That was the key...I had to be able to fall, so if I was inside a high rise building, or a glass walled elevator I was was OK, more or less.  I mean hell, when I was 18 I even went bungee jumping so my fear was able to be controlled.  But as I got older my fear got more pronounced, and at times it becomes almost debilitating and I have to literally force my self to climb up something high or go near an edge, and even then the adrenaline and the fear would be almost overwhelming.  I really don't know why this is, because it's not like I ever had some traumatic experience with heights in my past or anything.

2. Fear of failure.  Sounds generic right?  I guess what I mean is that all my life I've had confidence issues, probably stemming from being shy and somewhat withdrawn as a child.  Sometimes this lack of confidence will cause me to stay in my comfort zone and avoid taking risks in life.  I think this is why I'm so determined to get working on my bucket list.  Sometimes it is too easy to stay in a place that you are comfortable, even though you may not be fully happy, than to take a chance and risk failure.  I've worked hard to break out of that mold and start taking risks and not worry about the possibility of failure, but I still sometimes worry that I will regress from time to time.

3. The unknown future.  This is a new one for me.  I think this is because up to about two years ago I had a plan for my future.  Once that all changed, and my plan was basically erased, I had to get used to the idea of the unknown, and for me that is a little scary.  But as I've adjusted to this new life, I've tried to not let the unknown be something that scares me, but rather something to embrace as exciting and open to all possibilities. 

So as you can see I'm trying to overcome some of my fears, but it is a process and I'm sure I will stumble from time to time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment