Wednesday, February 20, 2013

30 Day Blog Challenge - Day 7

A photo that makes you happy?

I put a lot of thought into this one.  I'm one of those people who takes a lot of pictures of random stuff, and occasionally I go back over my photos and reminisce about whatever I'm looking at.  Consequently I've got a ton of pictures documenting my life, the good and the bad.  So it is any wonder why I agonized over this post for a while?  There are literally hundreds of pictures that bring a smile to my face and make me happy.  Obviously a lot of them involve my late wife, and while for a while I couldn't even look at those photos, they do now bring a smile to my face because I no longer associate those pictures with loss.  They are now what they were before she died...happy memories.  So the more I sat here and looked through pictures, ones taken long ago and ones taken more recently, I realized that I should pick one that reflects my happiness now.  I've turned to a new chapter in my life and recently became happy again.  While one should never forget or try to erase the past, I also cannot, and do not want to, live in the past, as that chapter has ended.  So I decided to find a picture that was taken more recently, one that I could look at and say to myself "I look happy there" and not only say that, but still feel that happiness as I look at it.  So here is the picture I came up with.


This is a picture of my girlfriend Jessi and I taken at The Hard Rock Chicago a few weeks ago.  Jessi and I decided to stay downtown and accomplish some bucket list items.  This was one of the best weekends I had in longer than I could remember.  Even though I think I look kinda crappy in this picture, it reminds me of this amazing weekend we had.  It was a long road for me to find happiness and what do you know...that light at the end of the tunnel wasn't a freight train after all!  So while I have tons of pictures that bring a smile to my face, this one here not only brings a smile, but makes me happy, for it shows me happy where I am in my life at this moment, and not how I was in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment