Monday, February 4, 2013

More bucket list items checked off!!!

What an amazing weekend I had!  That friend that I recently become closer with and with whom I planned to drag along my bucket list adventure, has now grown into something even better.  For me it was a series of stumbling baby steps as I tried to remember what it was like to date again, and I'm so glad she is such a patient and amazing person for putting up with my silly bullshit.  Anyway after a few mildly awkward moments on my part, things started going very well and I realized that not only am I starting to live again, but that I'm actually happy.  I think I had forgotten what happiness felt like, not that I was always miserable or sad, but it was more just a feeling of indifference as if I was just coasting along.  Now I that I remember what happiness feels like, it makes doing these bucket list things even more amazing.

So anyway, one night we were talking (texting actually) about things downtown that we wanted to do and she casually mentioned that one night we should just stay downtown, so we could do a bunch of stuff off our bucket lists.  Well, no sooner did I agree with her, I was on the internet looking at booking a room at the Hard Rock Chicago, a place listed on Jessi's bucket list as somewhere she wanted to stay.  After finding an amazing last minute room deal, I suggested we plan an overnight excursion for the upcoming weekend.  Crazy, I know for two people who only recently started officially dating, but than again that is the type of people we are.  We both like adventure and and are somewhat free spirits who live in the moment, so it didn't come as much of a surprise when Jessi said she was up for  it.  So anyway, now it's back on me to plan the afternoon / night.  After combing through our individual bucket lists I came up with a plan.  Again, big on the planning, but short on the details, but screw it, that's how I am.  I decided we would try to go ice skating again, but if that failed, I had a back up plan.  Also, one of the things on her list was to eat dinner in Little Italy, and I wanted to have drinks at the Signature Room on the 96th floor of the Hancock Building.

So with this general plan, we set out for the city.   Of course before we even left, I realized the weather would once again not cooperate as it was cold as shit out!  Cancel ice skating...again.  No worries, revert to plan B, the Shedd Aquarium.  Luckily The Shedd was open this time.  I didn't mention in my earlier post that after Jessi and I went to the Skydeck, we attempted to go to the aquarium only to find it closed, forcing us to check out the incredibly dull planetarium, at which we still had fun because it was so dull!  Well anyway this time we were lucky and found it to be open.  So after watching the beluga whales swim, now I have to steal another one of Jessi's bucket list items - swim with beluga whales.

After the aquarium and a long cold walk to find a cab, seriously it's the city of Chicago, the aquarium was closing, you think there would have been some cabs nearby, but NOOOO.  After finding a cab and just barely avoiding frostbite, we made our way back to the hotel to change for dinner.  Now I didn't make any dinner reservations (that's a detail issue) mainly because I didn't want to lock us into a dinner time, and I had picked three different restaurants, all of which were within a block or two of each other.  So I pick the first one that comes to mind and we hop in a cab.  Once we got there I saw reservations might have been a good idea, but we were able to be seated in the bar area immediately.  As I look around I realized the restaurant was perfect, cozy, a little dark, not too loud, kinda romantic.  Then came the food...largest piece of lasagna I had ever seen, but also the best tasting I've ever had.  So dinner was a HUGE success!

#103. Eat at an Italian restaurant in Little Italy
After that it was time for drinks at The Signature Room on the 96th floor of the Hancock building.  Another short cab ride, and a quick elevator to the top and we were there.  No line, and we were able to immediately get a table, not on the glass though, bummer.  We still were able to take in the AMAZING night time views of the city as we both started sampling their specialty drinks.  I don't think we were there for longer than ten minutes and Jessi stated that we had to come back again as this was most probably the coolest place to have a drink.  Now anyone thinking of going I must warn you, it's the city of Chicago...drinks in the city are expensive...this is no exception.  Keep in mind though you are not just paying for the drinks but the the atmosphere as well, and when taken all together it is so worth going to.

#54. Drinks at the Signature Room
Now I know I don't have any pictures of the view, but I wanted to make sure I got really good ones, and since we weren't sitting right on the windows, I decided to wait until next time.

The next morning as we were checking out of the hotel, Jessi noted a photo booth in the lobby, so sure enough... #65. Take silly photos w/ someone in a photo booth.

All in all it was one of the most amazingly fun weekends I've had in longer than I can remember and we are already making plans to go back!  Thanks Jessi...you are AMAZING and I'm so glad you came into my life at the perfect moment!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment